Tuesday, July 6, 2010

thoughts...

Yesterday, we were driving back to Kericho after another long day of hiking up mountains and hills in Kabinieti and it was just about dusk. We drove past a house that had the charcoal jiko (stove) outside, getting the breeze to make the coals ready to cook dinner and the memories of evenings in Kifumbe nearly consumed me.

I can remember the perfect peace that comes at that time of day, the sun setting, the weather just starting to get a hint of coolness, the sound of dinner preparation starting at the neighbors house. The door to my courtyard was closed and I had said my goodbyes to the village for the day. Voice of America would be playing on the radio and the vegetables would be chopped and ready to be cooked. It was such a peaceful time of day- I could sit on the short stool in the courtyard and watch the sun set over the back wall, between the banana trees. Water would be warming for my bath while I ate dinner by candlelight. My day was completed and I was able to process and compile my thoughts in letters and then read a book until I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer. I was ready to have another day start soon.

How did everything so quickly vanish when I got back to America? I loved that feeling of peace and completeness, but yet it slipped away so completely when I got home. Life in America should be easier- I have water in my house, my stove turns on when I turn the knob and there are lights all day long. I promised myself I wouldn’t let that feeling slip away, but it did. I blame school, a new life, the American culture, and my incessant need to always be productive. I want to try harder this time. I’m not going to be hard on myself, but I love this feeling of when a day is done, it is done. I don’t like having to worry about the 200 things I have to do tomorrow. Tomorrow will come.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    Nice thoughts. I remember coming back from short term mission trips and a week or two later having what I call spiritual depression. Hang on another decade... Our generation will hand your generation a third world economy and you will be cooking on wood/charcoal to feed your little ones.
    Does that help? Not!?!
    Listen I thought I signed up to get notice of your postings but I find you accidentally on Facebook... How can I get notice in my Outlook email account? Help an old guy out will you?
    In Christ
    Dennis McCutcheon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave H. Davis (The Brother-in-Law)July 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM

    Amanda,
    The description of your house and courtyard in Kifumbe really brought back memories of our (Sarah and I) visit to see you in Tanzania in Oct. 2006. What a great experience! I'm glad I got to share that time with you and Sarah in your village.
    Love you. Be safe and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete