Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Donkey in my meeting...


We had a really great first day of focus group discussions. About 30 men arrived to talk with us about the milk their cows produce, what their families consume, how they sell it and how their health is affected by keeping cows. We separated by how much milk is produced and I was with the highest producing group. I was pretty excited to be able to not have to rely on a translator. My Swahili isn’t as gone as I thought it would be. We sat outside in a circle and talked and before I knew what was happening, a donkey walked up. I am used to chickens, even children, interrupting meetings and I can usually ignore them, but a small horse that comes up to eye level and stares at you while the rest of the group doesn’t seem to notice? A little disconcerting. We just looked at one another (very closely) and then he wandered off into one of the government offices. That’s right. In the office. No one ran him off…I guess he just belongs there. There weren’t any donkeys in my village in Tanzania, so I never really realized how pretty they are! I want one now.

3 comments:

  1. HeeeHawwwww!
    AJE

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah miss you! i went to the apartment yesterday, and the heat may have killed some of the plants - i will buy new ones :-) when you get back. i did get the pool key and the gate opening thing. and i move in on the 24th. i'm really excited. i just had my interview and it went really well - i find out tomorrow or monday or sometime around there. ps could i paint my room white? to brighten it up? also, can i take down the curtains? is that ok? i can't wait until we live together! but if i can't do those things that's ok. i can leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same about my Swahili! It came back way faster than I would have imagined. Hongera sana!

    ReplyDelete